Wednesday, March 25, 2009

About as much Sunshine I can muster

I have been told now on two occasions that my blog has made someone want to end it all. I do not want this to happen as the two people who have told me this are a part of my life and important to me. The last thing I want to do is depress everyone to the point of throwing himself or herself off their office building. I’m here simply inform (slightly) and regurgitate financial news through a jaded prism.

Today is a new day though my friends. I have previously hammered CNN for basically telling us all what we already know and calling it breaking news, but not today! Today CNN is giving us hope. Today CNN gives us a date when this will all turn around and when the economy will bounce back …

… maybe

UCLA Anderson School of Management released its (apparently) quarterly economic forecast. I didn’t realize they did this, frankly, didn’t realize UCLA had a school that did that. But we are all learning about the economy in these trying times, some of us more vocal and opinionatedly than others.

Apparently David Shulman is the main man on this project and is important enough to listen to about stuff like this. He is also saying something optimistic, so people are willing to listen to him. So, in the interest of optimism….

The recession should only last 19 to 24 months!

Hooray! We should see economic growth in 2010 –ish., maybe more like Twenty ‘leven, but either way within the next year and a half or two years. We’ve already gone through six months or so of this thing, so even worse case that puts us at 18 months or so. Awesome!

Yeah, I know that there are only 33 weeks of Unemployment Benefits and that this recession is now slated to end approximately 72 weeks. Yes, I realize that leaves 39 extra weeks to deal with. But come on, think about it, what are 39 weeks on the 6 train? Especially if it’s from April through October? That might be nicer than your apartment! **blogger’s note: for the record it’s not nicer than mine, but might be nicer than yours, I don’t know, I don’t know who you are**

I apologize. I’m slipping toward snarky. I promised optimism and damn it, I’m going to bring it!

In the report Shulman said "We still forecast a tepid recovery in 2010 as the contractionary forces become spent…”

Yay?

I mean, that is a positive comment … sort of.

I’m just not sure what to do. We’re trying to get good news from lemons here. We don’t need lemonade; we’ll get that out of the carton. So we need to fight to try and find some sunshine and happiness.

Shulman had another comment at the news last week that the Federal Reserve’s plan to put another Trillion dollars into the economy.

"I feel a lot better about seeing a recovery in 2010 today than I did a week ago"

OH MY GOD! You are the worst at this! I mean seriously man, my teenage sister has a sunnier disposition than you, and she’s Goth!

I guess the best news to take from all this is there will be another trilly from Uncle Sam coming to help. Eventually that could devalue the dollar and cause a rise in inflation, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

As for now, keep printing that paper baby and we’ll "make it rain" our way out of this thing

No comments:

Post a Comment