Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Spring Day in Mid February

It's been a beautiful week in New York City. The magical "February Thaw" came beginning this Saturday and has lasted through Tuesday's 60 degree afternoon. It's been a wonderful few days to live and enjoy the city. I even took time out on Monday of this week to enjoy the beautiful afternoon and get outside of the apartment that I have been holed up in for the winter.

Monday was wonderful. It was a pleasure to go out and run my errands Monday afternoon. I treated myself to some pizza on the Upper East Side and enjoyed walking the extra couple blocks to the bus instead of the subway. It was hard to imagine this could get much better. However, while I was getting my pizza, a good friend sent me a text message asking if I would like to meet him for some Whiffle Ball in Central Park. My affinity for Whiffle Ball is one of my many quirks. If I could make a living playing Whiffle Ball, I would in a heartbeat. Sadly however, I cannot, so I am stuck now on the dole.

Needless to say, I was elated to meet my friend in Central Park for a pickup game of the Whiff. However, this is not a happy story about how my curve ball won me more bragging rights among my adversaries. No, the dole has taken from me things many things that I care desperately about. This one boiling down to my health and well being. Being unemployed hasn't caused me physical pain and suffering itself, but it has put me in a predicament by removing my little bit of insurance known as, well ... health insurance.

So, as I'm torching my friend in Whiffle Ball I hurt my elbow a little. I'm not sure when this happened originally, but this originally happened to me sometime in my early twenties. This has never been something very serious except a bit sore here and there, however, now that I'm out and on my own I am beginning to worry a bit. I am someone who loves being active. I play in coed sports leagues in Manhattan, I try to get out and play pickup games with friend in the parks, and I like to try to stay healthy by running around and being active. But now based on the need to ice my elbow after a half hour in the park on Monday, I'm slightly terrified of actually hurting myself. I can't afford Tommy John surgery right now! If I were to get a little sick, I could handle that right now. I can afford a bit of a doctors visit, but I certainly couldn't handle a trip to the hospital. This is a serious concern for me. I have been playing touch football recently and have 2 weeks left. I'm frightened I could twist my knee or land on my wrist or shoulder wrong. You can't just walk off an ACL tear!

Some might say that I'm being paranoid, but this world is a dangerous place. I know someone who tore his knee up and needed surgery cause he slipped on ice. ICE! do you have any idea how much ice is in this city? I'm terrified! I could get hit by a cab, or an air conditioner could fall out of window.

This is a frightening place if you don't have insurance. I have begun working on a classified for craigslist just in case..

SWM Seeks med student/ surgical resident to meet for drinks and some NSA surgery. Your pic gets mine. No bbw

1 comment:

  1. You should get a hoveround or hit up the scooter store or something, I mean, just to be safe!

    ReplyDelete