Friday, February 6, 2009

Day 10: The end of the beginning...

It has been 2 full weeks now without full time unemployment. I'm not sure how people survive like this.

Over the past couple years I have been introduced to a lot of contractors that work in the entertainment industry on a freelance basis. It took me a little while to figure out that this industry is one that lends itself to freelance contractors. This entire industry; from film, television, and theater/events is all dictated by projects. Freelancers work on their current project while they are looking forward to their next project and billing their previous project. Now that I am a freelancer, I have started this process. I am now chasing the money that is owed me for the previous project. I sent my invoice in and now get to wait for it to be deposited into the bank account. I hope it gets dumped into my checking account before I have to start following up with those who I just worked for. So, now I need to start working on my current project and looking forward to my next project. The trouble here is, I don't have a current project or a "next" project. My only projects are getting the money that is owed me, and find a new gig. This is a concept that terrifies me. Frankly, all my friends who are freelance contractors should be terrified as well. The events industry is slowing down at breakneck pace. It seems every couple days I hear about shows getting canceled or the budgets getting cut. This side of the industry is taking a lot more heat from the economic decline than it really should be. It's falling victim to perception instead of reality. The events industry is something that at a glance looks frivolous because it's a lot of money spent to hold business meetings. So now instead of spending money on these events, companies are going to be allocating this money to other sections of their company. This will undoubtedly save a few jobs in those companies for a short period of time, however, will crush those outside of the company who relied on its events.

What have I learned over the first 2 weeks of the dole?

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment